“Introduction to quilting with yarn” will teach you how to do couching on your quilts. That is essentially what couching is, quilting with yarn. This is a beginner class, and won’t include speciality yarns that you can see fibre artists use on their quilts. We all start somewhere and the purpose of this class is to show you what you can do with the basics.
I’ll be working on a longarm, but the essentials are the same on a domestic machine. I move my machine, on a domestic you move the fabric.
The class will take place over two sessions of three hours each.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Yarn that will work well, and of course yarn that won’t work as well
- Flow to create texture and illusion
- Keeping that yarn in its place, or not
- Free motion designs to finish off your quilting
What you’ll need:
- Quilt sandwich ready to go i.e. your printable traced to your fabric or Daindelina with batting and backing pinned, or on your frame
- Couching feet if your machine has speciality feet for the purpose. You will need a 3mm. HandiQuilter South Africa will give participants who own a Handi a 10% discount on couching feet if you join this class!
- Thread (nothing special, what you use to quilt with is just fine)
- The following yarn or similar if you’re not in South Africa. The links are to South African online stores:
- Himalaya Dolphin Baby from Skapie or Kartopu Elegance (out of stock at this time from Chamdor) – 1 skein OR Alicia Vellutto (available in January 2021 from Woolshoppe) – 1 skein
- Classic Yarns Rhythm from Woolshoppe – 2 colours, 1 skein of one colour, and 2 skeins of another
- Katia Azteca from Skapie – 1 skein
A yarn kit is available, that will include what you need as above, but it may change if the above list is unavailable. The price of the kit is indicated below and will vary due to availability.
The kit will include*:
- 1 skein of Himalaya Dolphin Baby, or Kartopu Elegance, or Alicia Vellutto
- 3 skeins of Classic Yarns Rhythm in 2 colours
- 1 skein of Katia Azteca or similar
The contents of the kit are subject to change due to availability of yarn at the time of my order. If there is a change after you’ve purchased I will let you know. Please note that the kit is only for South African customers.
The kit does not include the panel.
This class is live, on Facebook, in a group that is created specifically for every class. You will need to have a Facebook account to join.
Why on Facebook?
- Classnotes can be added to the group.
- Participants can easily communicate, ask questions and watch the class again if they want to.
- In short, it creates a small community.
Deadlines for ordering the panel and class kit is 4 weeks prior to the first class session**. This is to ensure that the fabric reaches you on time since it will take approximately 14 days to get the fabric to me, and depending on where you are in the country, it could take another few days to reach you. 4 weeks gives me room to ensure everything is on time.
*If the yarn in the list is not available I will replace it with similar items, at my discretion.
**If you include the class kit in your order later than that, receiving it on time is at your own risk.